Mary and I recently did the 23andme thing. I know it’s not as accurate as other methods but I still wanted to support the company in what they are trying to achieve and their contributions to genetics-based research. Also, it was Mary’s Xmas present so I had to do it :-)
Well, the results are in. Nothing extraordinary, health-wise, so far from the analysis they did. However, I did find their ancestry composition analysis interesting.
Ancestry Composition tells you what percent of your DNA comes from each of 22 populations worldwide. The analysis includes DNA you received from all of your ancestors, on both sides of your family. The results reflect where your ancestors lived 500 years ago, before ocean-crossing ships and airplanes came on the scene.
- No Greek genes in me :-) I checked the list of all 22 populations and Greek is not one of them. So ok.
- But Italian more than Balkan? I bet it was those Romans.
- Middle Eastern, ok I get that. My ancestors migrated from Pontus.
- East Asian and Native American??? How did that happen? I bet I got the Native American gene when I got naturalized :-)
- And finally… 11.8% “unassigned”. I bet this represents my alien genes. I knew it!!!